Fitness benefits are becoming an increasingly common workplace perk. With rising healthcare costs and a focus on preventative health, more employers are offering fitness subsidies, gym memberships, and other wellness incentives. If your company offers fitness benefits, it’s important to take full advantage to improve your health and get the most value. This article provides tips on maximizing workplace fitness offerings.
Before using new fitness benefits, take stock of your current exercise habits. Ask yourself:
- How often do you work out per week?
- What types of exercise do you enjoy? Do you have fitness goals?
- Are you happy with your current gym or fitness routine?
Understanding your needs and preferences will help narrow down the best options. Be honest about your activity levels and willingness to adopt new habits.
Compile details on all fitness benefits offered by your employer. Typical options include:
- Gym membership subsidies – Your company may offer discounted rates at certain gyms or a monthly allowance. There is often flexibility to choose your preferred gym or fitness studio.
- Company gym – Some workplaces have an onsite gym or workout classes. This saves commute time and makes fitting in exercise easier. Check facility quality and class schedules.
- Wearable devices – Companies may hand out activity trackers or subsidize wearables to encourage fitness. See if these come with app memberships or trainer advice.
- Health system affiliations – Large hospitals and clinics often partner with employers on wellness programs. See if exercise consultants, customized plans or location perks are available.
Don’t just glance at offerings. Fully investigate programs, read the fine print, and understand commitments involved. An hour of research can reveal extra perks and prevent surprise fees.
Once you know your options, deciding what to utilize depends on your fitness objectives. Consider:
If losing weight is the primary goal: Use benefits focused on variety, convenience and accountability like gym subsidies or wearables with tracking.
If you enjoy group workouts: Take advantage of onsite classes or gym memberships offering your preferred activities like yoga, cycling or boxing.
If you’re training for an event: Look into personal trainer sessions, specialized equipment access or running groups to help improve.
If you’re new to fitness: Use introductory benefits tailored to beginners including discounted trial memberships, starter equipment and starter classes.
Clearly defining goals helps allocate benefits to what best aids your holistic fitness journey. Companies intend their offerings to be put to good use – so take full advantage.
You can also take advantage of discounts on medications that aid in weight loss and holistic health, such as Mounjaro coupons, to reduce the costs of products that contribute to your fitness goals.
Finding workouts that seamlessly fit into your lifestyle increases long-term adherence. Use benefits focused on convenience:
- Onsite Facilities: Eliminating commute makes it easier to fit in exercise before or after work or during lunch breaks. Also takes less effort and planning.
- Flexible Bookings: Multi-gym subsidies or open bookings for classes allow you to switch up times and locations to match schedules.
- Virtual Offerings: From home workouts to Zoom classes, virtual options provide flexibility when traveling or if you miss an onsite session.
- Family-Friendly Services: Some gyms or wellness programs cater towards families making it simpler to get dependents involved and lead by example.
Build set days and times, leverage convenient amenities, take advantage of childcare, and reduce barriers to sticking with routines long-term.
Accountability through coaching, communities or tracking helps cement new fitness regimens. Use offerings that promote responsibility:
- Activity Monitoring: Wear wearable trackers daily. Review data regularly and compete on leaderboards. Seeing tangible metrics and how behaviors influence them sticks better than vague goals.
- Personal Training: Book time with a qualified trainer, particularly when starting. Tailored expert guidance prevents injury or burnout while teaching proper form and technique. Trainers hold you accountable.
- Social Motivation: Take group classes, join a running club through your health system or find workout buddies. Camaraderie and encouragement from peers prevents isolation and promotes consistency while making fitness more fun.
- Premium App Memberships: Many gyms or wearable devices include premium app access which unlocks guided programs, virtual coaching and progress monitoring. Leverage these tools.
Investing in relationships through human trainers or communities delivers results by keeping you honest. Tracking also boosts motivation.
Some fitness benefits come in the form of lump allowances or annual credits to redeem on activities of your choosing. Strategize to maximize this free funding:
- Gear up with workout clothes, shoes or gadgets you’ll actually use. Quality equipment prevents injury down the line.
- Sign up for races, charity events or pay competition fees you might not splurge on yourself. Participating raises stakes through social contracts.
- Take unique specialty classes or book time with sports/fitness professionals that normally charge high rates per session like golf pros, nutritionists or hot yoga studios.
- Pay annual subscriptions for apps or streaming programs that provide more variety and better instruction than free channels. Peloton, Daily Burn, obé fitness, and Grokker offer plenty of employer discounts.
Spend allotments on purchases or experiences you’ll value and serve fitness objectives versus letting funds expire. Think long-term and invest back into your progress.
Beyond better health, maximizing workplace fitness benefits leads to major cost savings:
- Tally subsidized or free offerings used per month then calculate the normal rates. Seeing $500+ in services tapped for just a $100 gym allowance fuels motivation while demonstrating immense value.
- With discounted memberships, tally what you save versus normal monthly rates. My local yoga studio charges $200 per month but I pay $30 thanks to employer partners. That’s $1,440 saved annually even before redeeming other perks!
- Note fitness accomplishments thanks to programming utilized. Maintaining a running list of races finished, strength gains, sport skills learned or energy levels soaring underscores the immense success enabled by employer offerings.
Quantifying financial and fitness gains makes the advantages concrete while proving the value of taking full advantage. This fuels engagement.
Workplace fitness and wellness benefits aim to cultivate healthier, more productive employees all while reducing healthcare costs. Yet these perks deliver maximum results only when fully utilized based on personal goals and lifestyles.
Take time to understand and optimize offerings based on your needs for community support, convenience, instruction, variety and accountability. Defining fitness objectives then matching programs prevents leaving credits on the table.
Finally, track progress and savings over time to prove the immense advantages of maximizing fitness benefits. Doing so powers motivation while setting up healthy patterns that ultimately reduce disease risks down the line – a win for you and your employer’s bottom line.