If you are skeptical about the importance of backlinks, here is what you need to know. Backlinks boost your ranking if done correctly.
I’m glad. Ask me why?
You landed on this article that reflects your clarity on the importance of backlinks on ranking. Without any doubt, they impact your rankings.
Now comes to the HOW part.
Backlinks are also known as inbound links as well. Now let’s focus on the HOW part.
To understand the methodology, you need to get a clear idea about the type of links.
Basically, links are of two types.
1. Do-follow links.
2. No-follow links.
For your information, do follow links play an important role in rankings. In contrast, no-follow links do not have any direct impact on rankings.
Well, let’s explain to you from the start…
Backlinks are inbound links to your website from another. These are often known as inbound links or incoming links as well.
It’s like you visited a restaurant; you like it, and then you recommend it to your friend.
Google sees these links as an endorsement or, as they say, ‘votes of confidence’. The higher the quality (explained later) of the link, the better the chances of ranking.
As mentioned above, there are two types of backlinks – dofollow and nofollow.
Well, let’s explain them one by one.
Wait, before you head toward the types of links, I need to explain you something…
Yes, I’m talking about link juice.
Link juice is the authority passed through a link. If your links come with link juice, you are more likely to reap the SEO benefits.
Okay, now let’s get back to the links.
This type of link generally passes authority. More specifically, they pass link juice.
When search engine crawlers find these links, they pass on link equity, aiding link building.
So, how to identify do follow links?
- They are identified by the rel=”dofollow” or rel=”follow” tag.
- Links lacking rel=”nofollow” tag are also considered dofollow.
Guess what? Dofollow links help you in the following way:
- Enhance search engine rankings.
- Improve domain authority and online visibility.
- They drive traffic, build relationships, and create social proof for your site.
- You can also enhance trustworthiness and aid keyword ranking.
Prioritize Dofollow links in link-building efforts for better SEO.
How do you identify no follow links? Nofollow links have a rel=”nofollow” tag, instructing search engines to ignore them.
(Checking if a link is nofollow: View the page source, and look for “rel=nofollow” attribute.)
They generally do not impact search engine rankings as they don’t pass PageRank.
Let’s consider two scenarios of links.
The first link is from an authoritative site but is a nofollow link.
However, the second link is from a less authoritative site but is a dofollow link.
The first link will have zero impact. Whereas the second link is likely to impact.
Because the second one came from an automotive source.
You may get confused as we told you nofollow links won’t pass any authority. Again, we are telling you that nofollow links from authority sites might have some impact.
Well, like every aspect of this world – there is an exception to every rule.
Strike a balance between dofollow and nofollow links.
Prioritize dofollw links. However, do not negate the importance of nofollw links that are coming from authoritative sources.
A balance of Dofollow and nofollow links contributes to a healthy backlink profile. Internal Dofollow links aid website indexing and PageRank distribution. Dofollow links to other websites can pass link equity based on the context.
As we told you to prioritize dofollow links, now the question is…
If you ask any senior SEO, they will recommend you guest posting.
Without any doubt, guest posting is still the best way to get those coveted dofollow links.
Now, let’s explain the process better. Guest posting involves:
- Reaching out to RELEVANT publishers and pitching them your offer
- Explain what value you will bring, and then let them agree to your content.
- Next, write high-quality content that people would love.
- Finally, wait for the content to be published and ensure an in-content link.
Now that you understand the importance of guest posting for getting backlinks, it’s time to stay on top.
In order to get top-notch results…
Successful guest blogging requires adherence to correct guidelines for link building. Choose authoritative sites relevant to your niche for pitching instead of mass pitching.
Select sites with good online performance indicators –
- High Domain Authority
- 10,000+ social followers
- Industry leadership
- Engaged readers
- Ensure your guest post comes with a featured bio including your byline, headshot, and a link back to your site.
- Craft personalized pitches with thorough research about the target site’s content and needs for higher chances of acceptance.
- Next comes effective pitching. Follow guidelines, be direct, and introduce yourself. Writing a compelling guest blog: Understand audience needs, and create a catchy headline.
- Addressing audience needs in your writing to engage readers. Crafting impactful headlines using powerful words for reader attraction.
- Dig Deep into writing stellar content. Show expertise and authority in guest posts. Tailor writing to readers’ knowledge, ask questions, cite credible sources, create a unique angle, align content with goals, focus on benefits, and proofread thoroughly.
- Always focus on readability. Produce Digestible Content. Divide the blog into sections and subsections (under 300 words each). Use visuals to illustrate points and concepts. Keep paragraphs concise (max 4-6 sentences).
- Your guest post must be result-oriented. You should narrow them down to the funnel and drive toward an outcome.
This article was packed with value (I guess). I have tried my best to share as much information as possible concisely.
If I missed out on something, let me know.
Furthermore, if you have any questions to ask, feel free to shoot them.
That’s it!!! Thanks for reading!